I’ve been using acrylics to paint my dolls for a long time and I love them for covering the entire surface. But when I want to make a soft doll I want a paint that stays soft as well. That’s when I discovered DecoArt SoSoft Fabric Paint. It’s permanent, washable and really, so soft. So I thought I’d give it a try and see how well it worked. I also used some other products like Photo transfer medium and some stencils. Want to see the process and learn to make your own? Just follow these easy steps:
1. First, gather your materials. You’ll need:
2. Laser print or photocopy the face you’re using and trim it. Using the Decoupage Transfer Medium apply a layer to the muslin and other to the printed paper. Place image face down to the fabric and apply another layer on top making sure to smooth it out, working from the center to the sides. Remove excess medium with a damp cloth. Let it dry.
3. When It’s completely dry, apply water and let it soak a bit. Slowly remove the paper with your fingers, rubbing the paper until it comes off.
4. Your fabric will be wet when you’re done removing the paper. You can let it air dry meanwhile you work on the body. I started by applying Yellow Ochre to the muslin with a stencil.
5. Then I mixed some Blue and Green to make a beautiful Aqua and use the same stencil in a different position. I also use some deep brown and red.
6. Then I used another stencil and used it in the center of what would be my doll’s dress and painted around the head with the aqua color I just mixed.
7. Then I painted the face using yellow for her hair, aqua for the eyes and some red mixed with white for the cheeks and lips.
8. When everything was dry I sew freely around the doll’s head and the body of the doll, attaching them together.
9. Then I used my writer to add more details.
10. Use a piece of fabric as the back of the doll and add a thin layer of cotton batting and the doll’s front.
11. Sew around everything and cut the excess.
12. Your doll is ready! You can further embellish it with some buttons or ribbons. You can use your kid’s or grand kids faces to make them personalized dolls. It’s so much fun!